Labels

Thursday, March 26, 2020

What Science video is Mr. Considine watching today?

I like watching Science videos, documentaries, movies, and all sorts of clips.   Each day I will upload or link a video I am watching at the time.  I will keep them related to the content we are learning in class in someway.  The questions that follow should be answered in one of three places; 1) If you have that notebook I gave you as a "gift" use that, 2) Make a separate section at the end of your Lab Notebook, like your Science Notebook glossary, 3) Make a separate section in your Science Notebook reserved for this. 




H.         04.03.20
The original source of energy the for planet.....

An old video of Convection Currents



03.30.20

G.   I enjoyed watching this show with my kids years ago; while we sit at home for these next few weeks, I think we are ready for a re-watch.  





03.27.20
F.  It's Friday night. The science video for you all is all about transferring the chemical energy in food to mechanical energy in your bodies.  It's important to stay physically fit and active during these strange days.  


Here is a video I'm converting chemical energy into mechanical energy to at the moment. :)

   

                                03/26/20
E.        Bioluminescent Mushrooms!
Bio meaning life, luminescence meaning chemical energy converting to radiant energy.
Observation:  I see fungi glowing green.
Inference: I infer they are are doing this for a very specific reason, as most fungi do not radiate luminescence.
Additional Questions:  Why do they they do this?  Why don't all fungi do this?  Why doesn't the mushroom on my pizza radiate green light?  Why is the bioluminescence green?  Why not orange, purple? 

D. Satisfying Slow Mo Fruit Ninja - The Slow Mo Guys 

Prediction: I predict that someone is going to be hit in the face with a piece of fruit. 
Observation: I saw someone get hit in the face with a fruit.  
Inference:  I bet that hurt. 
Additional Thoughts: I remember reading once that tomatoes are both fruits and vegetables.  I wonder how much they spent on all of that produce.  I wonder which of my students would enjoy throwing fruits at me...???


C.   What Happened Before History? Human Origins




Prediction: I bet life was colder, hotter, more dangerous and much more smelly/malodorous/foul smelling/stinky!

Observation: For most of human history, life was CHALLENGING.  

Inference: Based on human history, we have a lot to be thankful for today.  

BNatural Climate Cycles | Polar Extremes

Natural Climate Cycles | Polar Extremes 

Q/A

1. What is the difference between weather and climate?
2. What makes the seasons here on Earth?
3. When the sun is tilted towards the northern hemisphere, we experience ______.
4.  During he southern hemisphere summer, we in the north experience ______. 
5. Weather/Climate changes on a daily basis, whereas Weather/Climate is influenced by the movement of the earth around the sun and is studies on a long term basis. 




A.

Taking the Heat

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/taking-the-heat/

In his pursuit of strong materials, David Pogue, technology columnist and host of NOVA's "Making Stuff," wants to know how firefighters dress to boldly enter blazing buildings. In this video, Pogue visits with chemist Rich Young of DuPont to see how a material called Nomex withstands heat and flame.

Q/A
1. What is the Independent Variable?  Dependent Variable?  3 Constants?
2. Why would the outcome of this experiment benefit firefighters?
3. Would this Nomex make a good conductor of heat or insulator of heat?  Explain your response.  
4. Would this sort of heat transfer be primarily conduction, convection or radiation?
HINT: You have to watch the 
Is fire a solid, a liquid, or a gas? video first, from GC.








8 comments:

  1. Hello! Can anybody see this? Can you add a comment on the topic? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can see it, and I watched the video! It was so cool! -Winnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name AND Class # please for ***

      Delete
  3. The fruit throwing video was so satisfying in slow motion. - Sarah Bachir 604

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be proud to throw tomatoes :) and the video was satisfying and extremely funny-syeda subrin 601

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL xD Also, I agree with you about the video being satisfying and funny, it was also very cool.

      Delete
  5. *** for Yolanda, Syeda, Bachir, and Winnie once she adds her class #

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr.considine since we are doing things with weather you should post a video of what the ancient greeks thought weather came to be! Hint/Example: "You have angered the gods and now they have put us in this terrible storm"
    -Sincerely Kyle 606

    ReplyDelete