b. Watch the Six Simple Machines video. Think about and give an example of each type of simple machine.
2. Copy down the definitions and examples, then sketch a picture of each simple machine term. Use www.google.com as a research tool to assist you in finding an example of each simple machine; use the fill in the blanks to help you in organizing your information.
Two toothed wheels fit together either directly or through a chain or belt so one wheel will turn the other.
Examples: Clock, Automobile, Drill, __________.
b. Inclined plane:
A sloping surface, such as a ramp.
Examples: Staircase, Bottom of a Bath Tub, __________.
A straight rod or board that pivots on a point known as a fulcrum.
Examples: Seesaw, Bottle Opener, __________.
A wheel that usually has a groove around the outside edge. This groove is for a rope or belt to move around the pulley. Work is made easier because pulling down on the rope is made easier due to gravity.
Examples: Flag Pole, Crane, __________.
An inclined plane wrapped around a shaft or cylinder.
Examples: Bolt, Spiral Staircase, __________.
|f. Simple Machine:
A machine with few or no moving parts. Simple machines make work easier.
Two inclined planes joined back to back. Wedges are used to split things.
Examples: Axe, Zipper, _________.
h. Wheel and Axle:
A wheel and axle has a larger wheel (or wheels) connected by a smaller cylinder (axle) and is fastened to the wheel so that they turn together.
Examples: Door Knob, Wagon, _________.
i. Compound Machine:
Two or more simple machines working together to make work easier.
Examples: Wheelbarrow, Can Opener, Bicycle, _________.
Taken from http://edheads.org/activities/simple-machines/glossary.shtml
4. Simple Machine Puzzles and Pictures
Will you eat the cheese or will the cat eat you? Pick the correct letters to spell the words about force, motion, and simple machines.
Sketch a picture of each vocabulary term in your notebook.b. http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/simple-machines-games/label-it.html
Are you ready to find and label some simple machines?
1. What is the purpose of the wheel and axle?
2. Draw a picture of the screw and the work it does.
3. The ______ changes the direction of the force being applied.
4. The ramp or ________ _____ increases the ________ of the force while reducing the amount of force required.
5. Draw a picture of a wedge splitting an object.
6. The _____ is a bar that reduces the amount of force needed to lift objects.
Use simple machines to help Twitch the Robot succeed!
For each game, answer this question: How does the simple machine help Twitch reach his goal? Draw a diagram and label each.
5. Additional Simple Machine Videos
- Write a fact and an opinion about each video.
6. Assess Yourself! How well do you know simple machines? Take these FUN online assessments to find out. :)